Monday, October 11, 2010

Happy Birthday Will





Six years ago today my sweet boy came into this world. Not kicking and screaming like his sisters, but blue and silent. After a few anxious moments and some roughing up by the nurses, he came around and has been my source of joy every since. Of my three, he is the most snuggly and quickest to giggle. Will had a dream night before last. He dreamed he had wings. And what did he do with this new found gift? He flew around the backyard. He flew to the top of the play set. He flew up to reach the latch on the enclosure to let himself in and out. He did not fly in the house because in his words, "the ceiling fans would damage my wings". My point is this: he didn't take off exploring the vast world. He stayed in the backyard. Close to home, close to Mommy, where it was safe. He is also the most cautious of my three children. He wants to be an astronaut when "he's a Daddy". It's their term for when they are adults. If you are a child, you are a boy or girl. If you are an adult, you are a Mommy or Daddy. I'm not sure how a boy unwilling to leave the backyard when he has wings is going to go all the way to space, but he has plenty of time to figure that out.
Will is bright. Although sitting still is not his strong point, he manages to read on a second grade level even though he would have only started kindergarten this year. He likes to know how everything works. It's his thing. I used to get so mad at him for being so destructive. Even as a baby, all toys had to be immediately taken apart for inspection. He frequently asks what to me, are the most puzzling questions. Will is sensitive. I will never forget his reaction the first time I told him the Good Friday story. He was horrified and probably too young to have been exposed in such detail, but I was used to Faith, the one who reacts to the nature shows with "the lion's got to eat too, Will".
Will is my most even tempered child. If something is wrong with Will, it is easily deciphered. He's tired, hungry, or an actual injustice has been perpetrated on him. With the girls.......there's a whole laundry list of possibilities!
Will's nickname has always been Eddie. Why a nickname that is another name? It's a play on Oedipus. His Daddy gave it to him as an infant. He is the classic "Mommy's boy" and I don't care if it is dysfunctional.....I like it!
Happy Birthday my Joy Boy! Mommy loves you!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

What a wonderful blog post. Happy Birthday Will!