Sunday, June 6, 2010

Better Amy... Really?

There is a song in the top 10 right now (Christian) that is titled "Better than a Hallelujah" by Amy Grant.
The chorus goes:

We pour out our misery
God just hears a melody
Beautiful the mess we are
Honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a hallelujah

I was listening to this song the other day when it occured to me that, although I get her gist, I don't really agree. This is what I think God thinks as I "pour out my misery".

God: Are you kidding me with this?

Do you not realize how great you have it? Millions, no, Billions are going to bed hungry tonight and you want to whine about the extra few pounds you've put on.

Speaking of going to bed....you have one...inside! Inside your comfortably climate controlled home, that is.

Your children get on your nerves? Do you have any idea the numbers of prayers I get everyday from people who can't have any? Or people who did have them and lost?

Speaking of that..didn't you pray that same prayer at more than one point...seems like I remember you "helping" me along with fertiliy drugs for two of those "gifts". And Gracie, she's just a bonus! A reminder that you don't control it all and that I don't need help, and that, BTW, I love you and know what's best.

Husband complaints.......okay, so I don't really pour those out because I've been blessed with such an awesome one.....(another gift from you know who), that I rarely have any...
back to God:

I realize you are sad about losing your Mom, but think of all those who never knew one at all. Think of all those who did, and wish they hadn't ,and think of all of those who, like you, had a great one and lost them before they were in their 40's. And in case you didn't notice, that last two years.....another bonus. Her aggressive cancer was spotted on a last minute unplanned mamogram. She always attributed it to luck, but you and I know better. There is no such thing as luck, at least you realize that. Aside from that, she's not really lost. She's with me and cancer free. You feel her presence all the time and down there, you still have your wonderful sister, a great Daddy, who is stepping up with the kids in ways he never would have otherwise, and a super extended family. Again, stop your whining, already.

And don't give me that CF crap either. First of all, Faith has it, you don't. Stop complaining about having to do medicine and therapy all the time.....YOU don't! Be thankful for all those medicines and therapies that KEEP her healthy. Be thankful that they have been discovered and be thankful that up to this point at least, getting them for her due to lack of finances hasn't been an issue. Secondly, and more importantly, remember your dear friend Sherry. The one with the little boy the exact age as F that has an inoperable brain tumor. Do you have any idea what that poor woman would give for a simple CF diagnosis for her baby at this point?

And.....wouldya stop griping about the kids arguing? You know they all love each other when it comes down to it. I have a whole world of children that are constantly at war. REAL war, not minor skirmishes over percieved territory, although I have plenty of that going on too. You know how you always tell your kids that they don't have rooms, only rooms that you let them sleep in? Well guess what?

Let's see, all the necessities, A LOT of the luxuries, great family, friends..........what was that you were saying again about your so-called misery? I'd better ONLY be hearing the hallelujah's from you little missy!

So, Amy, this is only a small portion of what I hear God saying as I'm "pouring out my misery". This is what I hear because this is the kind of parent I am. These are the kinds of things I say to my own children as they "pour out their misery" to me. And yes, I do usually start with "Are you kidding me with this?" Thankfully for myself and the rest of the world, God is a much better parent than I am. Maybe you are right afterall.

No comments: